A "Blog" is a "Web Log". I am not a captain or a web, so I have no "log" (that's what she said). Instead, I have a journal on the web. Therefore... a "Bjournal".

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Evolution and the ultimate creation argument

The basic way in which I have learned to hear from God is that when He speaks, I listen. That entails two things: 1) I don't control the content and 2) I don't control the schedule. He speaks, I listen. That said, I've found that His wisdom doesn't really care for my time table. I mean, let's face it; the guy is busy. If He can take the time out of His schedule to talk to me, I'd better be open to hearing.

Last night was one of those moments (which by the way are becoming more and more frequent for me). It was during the [r]nation service at church. I began thinking about evolution... and I just lost 8 of you with that sentence.

My understanding of evolution is what I consider to be a very main stream viewpoint. The universe and all existence found itself in a perfect combination of heat, mass, density and pressure and exploded from a central point in space. From there, all existence as we know it was formed or at least set in motion to be formed. One of the things that erupted from this perfect cosmic M-80 was earth. Now earth was unique because it had fluid water and it spun it's orbit around a star with such a perfect proximity that the water never really froze completely and it never really boiled. Nice and constant; perfect for something to start moving.

A couple of microbes and bacteria began to procreate (bow chicka) and over time, like, TONS of time, they began to take on different forms and families and genetic mutations. Throw in some meteor hits, a couple of dinosaurs, some monkeys and BOOM: in about 10 million years, you've got yourself some humans. So that's the long and short of what I know about evolution. We just happened.

This argument makes sense, at least on paper. Math is finding a tough time to prove it, but looking at some turtles and birds in the south pacific - ok, I get it. Maybe. But it also doesn't make sense, for reasons I won't go into here. The main premise I want to make is this: technically under this viewpoint, humans are just like everything else. Really, we aren't any different from bacteria or planets for that matter. Specifically, we aren't any different from monkeys. We're just advanced monkeys. This is where the argument fails.

If you're a Christian, or if you believe Jesus did what He did at all, including for the reasons He did what He did, then the argument that we are all the same is now void. See, just the fact that God did anything, anything AT ALL is a miracle unto itself. The fact that He even noticed us enough to show Himself as a cloud by day was a big deal. But He didn't stop there. He took Himself, and made Him us. He turned Himself into us. And according to His words not mine, He did it so "...that we might never die, but instead join Him in eternal life." So what are we saying by totally agreeing to evolution? God saved the advanced monkeys, but not the basic ones?

By agreeing to the concept of Christ as a savior to the world of men, you are agreeing to the premise that men are different from other things. And if men are different, and I mean TOTALLY different, then God's ultimate sacrifice automatically validates our differences (dude, God changed His form, abandoned heaven temporarily and ripped the cosmos in half just to have a shot at saving us from nothingness). The evolution argument suddenly seems just a bit flat, regardless of how already scientifically hopeful it is.

Yet science still is valuable. It gives us medicine, let's us see ourselves physically for who we are on the inside and even describes the universe in a language we can relate to. So to have one or the other (science or Godliness) is not the case. Instead, one should speak to and validate the other.

I'll end with 3 quotes, and they were made by geniuses. The first two were made by a stark atheist:

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."....... "The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired."
~ Steven Hawking

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
~ Albert Einstein

+ Christian

1 comment:

Emily said...

Your first blog comment :)

Totally agree. I once had a science teacher that was a proclaimed Catholic but believed heavily in evolutionism and darwanism. I never saw how those two - religion + evolution- fit together and the teacher could never explain it.